Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The sun is shining in more ways than one

Just when I think I'm down and out, the sun comes out. Today I received a phone call from the Blockbuster in So. Burlington, and they're looking for someone part time to work 5pm-12:15amish. Not an ideal schedule, but I'll take anything at this point! So, we set up an interview for 2pm on Friday. Then, shortly after that, I got an e-mail from the marketing director at Kelliher Samets Volk, a leading marketing agency in Burlington, about a phone interview. So, I have a phone interview on Tuesday at 9am! I need to ace this one, I NEED this internship. If I don't get it, I think I'll have to pull out of the internship class because I have nothing else. Plus, KSV is a great company, well-known and well established with a clear mission statement and purpose. I know I'll learn a lot and feel like I'll truly get a great hands on experience if I get it.

Not going to lie, I was a little intimidated to submit my resume there. Let's face it, they're really good at what they do, and I feel somewhat unprepared for a marketing internship. I think part of it is that I haven't really had any hands on experience with marketing yet. I think the closest I've gotten is working with EatingWell over this past semester with Internet Based Marketing. I've created advertising for Subaru in Advertising class, but it wasn't anything real. And, I've done an international campaign for Poland Springs in International Marketing- but again, not real. It's like I'm pre-gaming for the real thing. :) Another part is that I'm a double major, therefore my schedule consists of a mix of graphic design as well as marketing classes. So, even though I'm going to be a "senior" next year, I'm just finishing sophomore level marketing classes, and this would be the equivalent of my sophomore marketing internship. But, I know that if I don't at least try, then it's a 100% chance I won't get in. At least now I have a 50/50 chance.


*crosses fingers* if all goes well, I'll have a job and an internship in the next week or so!

On the home front, the apartment feels more like "home" now that there's more in my bedroom than just a bed frame. I finished painting over the green on the three walls and even added a bit of "spunk" to the walls I was originally going to leave white. I'm almost finished moving stuff in and my walls are decorated with shelves and pictures and nic nacs that make the place, well, "me." I'm happy with the way it turned out. Now to just finish moving everything in!

I'm praying that everything falls into place, it would allow me to breathe a big sigh of relief, seriously. I didn't want to feel bad about my decision to stay here this summer, and I especially didn't want to disappoint my dad. It's been a bit of a financial strain not only to make sure I could stay here this summer, but also college in general over the past few years, and I always feel horrible when I need to call home and ask for money for books or classes and such. I've been working since I was in 6th grade, and I like to be able to pay for all of my stuff. Sometimes, its just not possible though and I need to call home. And I know, know, sometimes its been a juggling act to front the money, but my dad's always found a way to help me, even if it means him working more hours. I guess when it comes down to it, I want to do well and succeed to say thank you for all the help he's given me;I just want to make him proud. :)

I e-mailed financial aid today about setting up an appointment to meet with someone about loans and a computer, but never received anything back so I'll make a voyage over there tomorrow to get things straightened out. I was nervous at first because it was looking like we were going to have to pay about $600 out of pocket, and I almost cried when I had to call home to ask my dad for the money. But then I found out if I registered for two classes, I qualified for financial aid, and based on the quote they gave me, it looks like I'll be able to pay off all of it PLUS get my laptop. I wanted to meet with someone in person though to make sure that EVERYTHING was taken care of for the summer and for next year. I didn't want another Lyndon experience where I was getting a bill every other week for different amounts and being told I needed to pay them immediately. It became a constant worry for me, wondering every time I went to the mailbox if I was going to have to scrounge up some money or not. Luckily, I'll be an RA next year as well, so that knocks a few grand off of my bill for my housing. If all goes well, I'll come out of this two summer classes, a full year of schooling and a new laptop ahead of the game! ( I even started pricing laptops on apple today, it was exciting.)

The possibilities are floating there, but if they all fall into place I'll be one happy girl! Hopefully this will be a sign of good things to come for this summer!

No comments: