Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hello from South Africa

Well. Let me try and find the words to start. Right now, it's about 12:30am in South Africa. We've been awake since 5:30am, and tomorrow we're going to be awake right around 5:30am or 6am. We're exhausted, we're drained, and we're ALL craving sleep right now--we've been running on this a schedule like this since we've gotten here. But if you could look at our faces right now, this very second--we're happy. Simply put, we are happy. The experiences we've had here, the people we've talked to and learned from, the places we've seen, they've enriched our lives in ways that all of us are struggling to find the words to describe. I wish I could have constantly blogged while I was here--I had good intentions to, but I didn't know what the internet was going to be like. Unfortunately for us, it hasn't been that great. It needed to be paid for, and while our school did purchase credits we are sharing one internet connection between the 20 or so of us. (Luckily I grabbed it tonight!) Also, the problem has been the time. We've spent so much time out in the field that the only time we're in the bed and breakfast is for just that--bed and breakfast! But, I've taken so many photos and I've tried to jot down my thoughts as much as possible as I've gone through this.

I can't even begin to describe this experience. To put it lightly, it's been one of the best experiences of my life. It's made me think more about my life and the world in general. I think one of the biggest things that has touched me the most has been the hospitality and hope of people here. One of my first days here, we took a tour of a township. There were miles and miles of tin shacks and run down shelters. There was garbage all over the place. Most of the shacks were loosely constructed, pieced together with wood planks and thin tin roofing, with tires and concrete blocks holding down the makeshift roofs. People littered the streets, washing clothing in buckets and standing around. This was worse than any poverty I've ever experienced in America. Immediately I was struck with sadness and sympathy, and my heart went out to the people of the township. I couldn't imagine how anyone could live in these conditions and I prepared myself for the worst.

But, as the group walked around, small children began to run up to us, grinning ear to ear and taking our hands to walk with us. They laughed and talked with us the best they could, and squealed with joy as we took their pictures and showed them. The more we walked, the more children that gathered in our group. The more we talked to the children and the adults, the more we experienced the culture and its surroundings, the more we're learning that these people are the happiest people you'll ever meet. And, even though they have nothing, they're love sharing with you everything that they have. I can't tell you how humbling the experience has been. I admire their community, their positive outlook, their hope. Now, as the trip comes to a close, I find myself holding back tears because I'm leaving this place, this happiness, this hope. I'm leaving this incredible community. If anything, I'll want to cry as I see the United States out of the plane window, struck with sadness and sympathy for a country that will never know this hope and this community.

It's a funny feeling inside of me, one I can't possibly put in coherent thoughts at 1am. But, I wanted to share a few thoughts with you and cannot wait to share more with you when I'm back and have enough time (and sleep!) to record my experiences.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nichole,
I am so very happy for all that you are experiencing! I know you will carry all you have seen, learned and felt with you throughout your life. When you return your vision, hopes and dreams will be dramatically altered. What a wonderful opportunity it will be for you to take these experiences and use them to create the life unfolding for you and all those who share your life!
No matter how tired you are, you will sleep when you get home. Continue learning, experiencing and feeling. This is life at it's very best.
Love, Maryann